[Favorite Warmup in Like Ever]
I teach this warmup to about 99 out of 100 people when I first meet them.
It’s great for not only getting warm but also helping with achy knees, hips, back, and shoulders.
It would help to go through a quick assessment first to make sure all the movements are right for you; but with that being said almost everyone I meet would benefit from this routine.
Without further ado, here we go.
- Start with foam rolling. Focus on the top and outer thighs here. Do this for no more than about 5 minutes total. Longer is NOT better. Use the 1” inch, 1 second method. Biggest mistakes here would be rolling directly over your joint(s).
- Deadbugs for 5 per side. Several variations here. Start with the most basic deadbug and progress as fitness and skill levels allow.
- 2 Legged Glute Bridge for 10 reps with 3 second contractions each time. Only start counting once you “feel” the glutes working as most folks suffer from a little gluteal amnesia.
- Marching Glute Bridge for 10 reps per side. Biggest mistake here is letting the hips drop or rotate excessively.
- Single Leg Glute Bridge for 5 reps per side. Same common mistake here of letting the hips drop or rotate too much as well as not reaching full hip extension.
- Short Plank for 5 Breathes. Focus pulling your elbows and knees together to get a solid contraction in the stomach muscles.
- Reachbacks for 10/side. Think about putting your shoulder into your opposite back pocket. The biggest mistake is moving through your lower back instead of just your shoulder blade.
- Forearm Wall Slide with foam roller for 10 reps. Brace your stomach and squeeze glutes. Biggest mistake is not bracing properly.
- Back to Wall Overhead Shoulder Flexion for 10 reps. Get you butt, lower back, upper back, and back of head flush to the wall. Think about reaching back towards the wall and up towards the roof. Biggest mistake here is not getting your backside flush to the wall.
- Spiderman Lunge with Reach and Hip Lift for 5 per side. Too many possible mistakes to list here…..
- Single Leg Romanian Dead Lift for 8/side. Do these if you have knee issues and can’t do the Spiderman Lunge.
This can be done virtually anywhere and will help you feel great with enough repetitions over time.
If you have any questions just message me!
[youtube height=”HEIGHT” width=”WIDTH”]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_Gjj_g1jA[/youtube]
Leave a Reply